Friday, May 14, 2010

Umm, I'm in Prague!

soo, I'm still really tired and its already Friday (about 10:15 here, 4:15 where you are). I got no sleep on the 9 1/2 hour plane ride over (lots of babies crying, ugh!) but I'm here and I had a good night's sleep and am ready for today's activities.

I got into Prague about 9ish and was picked up at the airport by a very nice woman who works for Caledonian (the language school I am currently attending, duh). She dropped me off at the TEFL flat (not in downtown, on the outskirts but in a nice neighborhood). So far, its cloudy and looks a lot like Seattle (its raining today). I met two of my roommates/TEFLers yesterday, one is 24 and from England, the other is in her 50s and from Raleigh, NC. As far as I can tell, there are only 5 of us in the TEFL training program this month and I think its all girls (haven't met the 5th and their name goes both ways as far as gender). Yesterday, the two who were already here showed me the school (yes, it is still next to the MASH shop and there is a confederate flag flying outside of it) and we went out for lunch at a pub across the street. The local food is pretty good, lots of meat and potatoes but they do have vegetables! Umm, after that, we pretty much hit up a grocery store for breakfast and dinner things.

Afterwards, we came back here (we travel by the local bus, we have a free pass for the duration of the course) and I went to sleep about 730, woke up for 3 hours in the middle of the night, then went back to sleep and got up about 2 hours ago. I have my own bedroom which is nice, but the bed is awful! its like a cot-bed, low to the ground and very stiff! I hope I can adjust ok since I don't have another option. Today we have orientation for the TEFL course (at 1pm) and then they show us around town. I haven't been in the main part of Prague (the pretty buildings you've probably seen) yet but will be going there today (i think). Tonight, some of my roommates mentioned hitting a jazz club (those are big here) so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm still really tired, and no, it hasn't hit me that I'm in Prague. It's just like a European Seattle right now and not everyone speaks English!

Later,
Rachel

1 comment: