So, I have my apartment in Prague, orientation for teaching starts soon; my summer vacation has come to an end. I spent 8 weeks traveling: 5 weeks by myself through Germany, France, England and Scotland; 3 wonderful weeks with mom seeing Paris, Spain, the French Rivera, Italy, and my city Prague. You know that feeling you get when something is finished and it feels like it lasted a long time, but at the same time, it was over so quickly? That's kind of how I feel about this summer. I feel like I just left Prague, and now I'm already back. But traveling Germany seems so long ago!
I did have a lot of time to grow and reflect on things as I traveled. I thought about the things I was seeing as well as friends and family I missed back home. Homesickness came and went. I got used to traveling on my own. For the whole, I wasn't bothered by anyone, never threatened in any way. I was blessed to be safe. Something I know to be true is that my travels aren't over; once you've traveled for so long like I have multiple times, it is only natural to continue because it is apart of how you are. So, while I'm in Prague, there will be side trips when I have the time.
I had no great revelations while traveling, expect ideas for the future after Prague. Granted, I haven't even started working here. Anything can happen. But I do see myself returning home after this year. South Carolina is my home. I see that as my final stop one day. So, to conclude my adventures, I've created a little "sum-up" survey for myself:
-Best food: Spain (although France was great, I loved Paella in Spain!)
-Best breakfast: English (soooo good! I can deal with black pudding.)
-Best drink: its a tie between cider from UK and sangria in Spain (red wine with punch and fruit, yum!)
-Best country: Scotland (kind of a surprise actually, but I'm heading back one day, and England)
-Best language: Czech (I mean, I'll be learning it, duh!)
-Best sight: Tie: Cathedral in Barcelona and Colosseum in Rome
-Best day: Meeting mom in Paris
-Best Mom quote: *we are on a train to Milan, looking over our hotel details. there was a type-o in the letter that read: 'early morning boo' mom looks at me and says, "what do you think that stands for?" I say, "early morning booty call?" a few moments of laughter, and then she looks at me seriously, "what's a booty call?"
-Best moment with mom: every moment, even when we were really hungry and frustrated with each other. I love you!
-Best find: all those pashminas in Florence for cheap, I love mine!
-What I missed most from home: friends and family, what else? even if I don't communicate with yall, if you're reading this, I have been thinking about you and am glad you are so interested in reading this stupid blog! It means the world to me!
-Best thing about coming back to Prague: my new friends. I already have a great base to build upon. And they tell me I'll love teaching.
**shout outs for today: Ms. Peebles, I love you and know I'm thinking and praying for you! Adam and Liz, I know yall are going to have a crazy year, take it one step at a time! And my second pair of moms: MA and Cheryl. Take care of my mom. And finally, Jocassee and Tater, take it easy on mom too.
*now, back to the Prague blog!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete